Saturday, February 6, 2010

What Makes the Difference?

As I have dealt with challenges over the last few months and years, I've often fought a battle within to also deal with my guilt. More specifically, I've fought the perceptions I have of myself that are fueled by comments others can make. Someone sat and looked me in the eye last Spring, and reminded me over and over and over of a very simple truth. The conversation went something like this:

"Robby, God loves you," my friend said.

"Yes, I know that," I replied.

"No, listen to me. God really loves you," he said.

"I get that," says I.

"No, I want you to really hear me. God knows you, and every wrong thing you've ever done. But, Robby, God loves you."

Finally after 4 or 5 rounds of this kind of dialogue, I finally stopped and allowed myself to absorb, maybe for the first time in my life, exactly what my friend was saying. My pastor has a saying he shares with new members to our congregation. He says:

"I'll never do anything to intentionally hurt you, and you will never do anything that will make me not love you."

Now, that's a wonderful outlook for a pastor to share with his people. But, even though I've heard him say that for 17 years now, I only recently realized how Godly that saying is. For you see, no matter what we've done, no matter what we think, or read, or get upset over, no matter how many people we hurt, or think we've hurt, GOD STILL LOVES US ANYWAY!

Now, I don't know where your journey has taken you to this point, and I don't know how close to God, or how far away from God you feel. However, I do know this one thing. He loves you! He knows you, knows everything about you, knows everything you've ever done, knows everything you are going through, and yet, he loves you anyway. Even if you would say, "But, you don't know how angry I've been at God," or, "You have know idea what I have really done," even then, I can say with the confidence of His Holy Word to back me up...

GOD LOVES YOU ANYWAY!

So what? You might ask now. Who cares? Or, even, how is that supposed to help me? Well, I guess I can't answer all of that for you, but for me, it has meant EVERYTHING! Knowing that God loves me allows me to quit trying to get acceptance from others around me. It lets me know that being who He made me to be is all right. It allows me to realize when I've done wrong, humbly confess it before Him, and then...MOVE ON!

And it allows me to face trials and challenges in this life knowing that no matter how I handle them, I will be loved on the other side. No matter what I might lose, if I cling to His love for me, then use that knowledge to listen to what He has to say about my current struggle, I will find peace in the storm, confidence in the time of fear, and perspective in the crisis. Knowing I am His, through the sacrifice of His Son Jesus, and knowing that as His child, I am loved, means knowing I have a true Father that has my best interest in mind.

I hope you have that assurance today. If not, find that old Bible you have somewhere, or pick one up, or let me know you need one, and let God show you His love for YOU, yes, YOU...all over again! I hope you use these thoughts to propel you forward with more confidence in our Heavenly Father's love for you than you place in the earthly love of others. He will NOT let you down!

Have a great, and well-loved day!

No comments:

Post a Comment