Sunday, January 31, 2010

Hurting? Praise the Lord Anyway!

I know a couple of people who are dealing with some chronic pain right now. One is a dear friend, and one is a family member. I don't mean a sore joint, or a pulled muscle, I'm talking about borderline debilitating pain that makes daily functioning a really big chore. They see doctors, and doctors prescribe stuff, or try stuff, and yet, here they are...still hurting. I ache in my heart for them because it just seems like there should be a solution.

This morning our pastor discussed the idea of bearing what God puts on us, and discussed Paul's afflictions.
 He mentioned that Paul talked of how he took them to God, asked for relief, and was told "only" that, "My Grace is sufficient for you." Now, I don't know about you, but I'm guessing that I would be far less spiritual than Paul was in declaring victory in his weakness. For, even after getting the "wait a while" answer above, Paul declared, "When I am weak, I am strong." Our pastor talked about how that means that in our weakness, God's provision, endurance, solution, perseverence, or whatever He provides is brought out. It is that same providence of God that keeps my friend and my family member going in their pain. It is how we endure the hurt of an offense by another. It is how we endure uncertain times like job loss, or family difficulty.

I guess I write this at this time because I don't see how others do it. And yet, some folks that know things about me, say that same thing to me. Now what they don't see is that I don't always "do it." I am often overwhelmed by "stuff" around me. Yet, when I turn my face back to God, back to His Holiness, His Power, and most of all...HIS LOVE...then I feel strong...then I feel free...then I feel relief from my circumstances. I find the joy He intends, and I find that praise for Him wells up in me again. How does this happen? Sometimes, I "turn my face back to God" by simply (and quietly) singing a song about Him. But often, when I really need Him most, that quiet song can suddenly turn into a praise that flows from within me like I was never hurting, or doubting, or overwhelmed in the first place. For you see, His Truth is...well, it just IS... His Truth never changes, or subsides, or moves. Like that old saying, "When we wonder where God went, we need to realize that we were the one that moved. He is right where He's always been. Just waiting for us to realize it."

I hope that in your pain, or hurt, or strife, or whatever has dampened your praise today...I hope you can simply grasp a simple tune about our Lord, or a simple Truth from His Word, and then let YOUR praise for Him find its way out again. In everything, PRAISE THE LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment